Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Mariachi Mania!

Hello!

What a way to start our week! Mariachi Mania was a big success!

The friends followed through with their agreements and wore their "fancy" clothes.  Some friends were really impressed with each other and were using words like, handsome and beautiful to describe each other and were commenting on how they looked liked ladies and gentlemen.

Everyone was really excited about going on the bus, many for the very first time.  They did a great time at sticking to their partners and practiced sitting in their seats the whole time.  Friends were noticing the different Emergency Exits on the bus and all the different letters by each seat.  It was neat to be able to sit with them and just listen to them and hear what they were most excited about along the trip.




Walking through Downtown was a nice experience.  Both our class and Jennifer's class practiced waiting at the cross lights and being aware of our surroundings before crossing any streets.  Downtown is such a busy place, it's so easy to get distracted while looking at all the business and tall buildings around you!






I had a great time seeing the expressions on the students' faces as they entered the Balboa Theatre and ooh-ed and ahh-ed at beautiful architecture and lighting inside.




We were so lucky to get seats right up by the stage!  Classics4Kids presented their orchestra as well as Southwestern College Mariachi Garibaldi. They walked us through the different instruments, their unique sounds, and songs and dances from different parts of the world, including Cuba, Guatemala, Jalisco, Venezuela, and Michoacan.


Vocals
Trumpet, Violin, and Guitar
Brass instruments
String instruments: Gitarron, Vihuela, and Guitar









Bailet Folklorico






When we came back to school, the friends got a chance to discuss some of the reactions to the performance  Here is some of what they said:

Gaby- We are going to debrief about our field trip to Mariachi Mania.  What are some of your reactions to the orchestra and/or mariachi.
Nyala- My reaction was to move my shoulders.
Lyla-  My body, at the start, I like, waved my arms in a swishy way.
Fiona- My reaction was doing-- I was bumping up and down and going side to side at the same time.
Lauren- I liked just watching it.  
Gaby- What did you enjoy about it?
Lauren- I enjoyed the girls in dresses and the boys in cowboy clothes.
Jake- I liked the colors of the dresses.
Nyala- I liked how they were dancing with their dresses.  They were dancing, like moving their dresses.
Andrew- For the cowboys, I liked the part where the cowboys had the black [outfits] on and their hats, cuz they looked like cowboys.
Ivanna- I liked the cowboy clothes and the dresses.
Vikas- I liked the cowboys and the way they put their hands behind their back when they were dancing.
Mikayla- I liked it when they danced.
Gaby- Yeah, they were dancing Bailet Folkorico.

At this point, I took a moment to share with the class a little bit about myself and how I danced Baliet Folklorico in my younger days.  I offered to bring in some pictures of me and my husband decked out in our outfits from when we participated in a high school performance!

Thank you for sharing your amazing children with me!
Love, Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment