Saturday, January 12, 2013

It's a New Year!

Happy New Year!

Before the break, the students were asked to come up with a promise to themselves to strive for in the upcoming year.  Here are some of their resolutions:

Fiona- I resolve to try my best to get as high as I can on the swings.
Lauren- I'll try my best to skip bars on the monkey bars.
Andrew- I'll try my best to be in my Meeting Body.
Kai- I'll try my best to not whine.
Lincoln- I'll try my best to not be silly in meeting by sitting in my Meeting Body quietly.
Vikas- I'll try not to chat with people.
Jake- My resolution is to try and do things carefully.
Lyla- I resolve that I will come to someone who is hurt and people who need help.
Michael- I resolve to help when you need it getting on the swings.
Lainey- I'l try to skip all the monkey bars.
Mikayla- I resolve to try and go all the way to the monkey bars.
Nyala- I resolve that I will try to do all the monkey bars, since my hands have been falling off, I'll try to get it right.
Brookyln- I resolve I'll try to do the best on the monkey bars.
Ivanna- I'm going to do better at listening the first time.
Ashley- To read a new book every day.

When we came back, we also thought about how to give our classroom a fresh new start and we did our first Cleaning Attack of the New Year!


The weather has been so crazy lately, it inspired me to read one of my favorite books to the class, The Wind Thief, by Judi Barrett and Illustrated by Diana Dawson.  The students really enjoyed how silly the book was and took a moment to discuss with a partner what their favorite part of the story was.  Since we are still practicing our listening skills, I've been challenging the friends to repeat what their partners said instead of telling the group their own idea.  Take a moment and ask your child what their favorite part was.


After the story, we went out for a quick stroll around campus to stretch our legs.  Guess who the class believed was out there with us?  None other, than the Wind Thief!  The wind was definitely blowing hard outside, so when we came back in, we took a moment to recap what the Wind Thief was up to!



Jack- It looked like the Wind Thief was there and it blew the trash can over!
Fiona- The Wind Thief blew part of my jacket off!
Jake- The Wind Thief blew the Scarecrow over and made him dance!
Jack- And the leaves danced...
Kai- It looked like the Scarecrow was dancing back and forth!
Lainey- The wind was blowing my hood off!
Laured- The wind was so strong, the trash can falled down!
Lincoln- The wind was so hard, the water puddles moved!
Vikas- The wind blew my hood down too!
Mikayla- The wind blow my hood off.
Ivanna- It blowed the leaves.

After noticing how many things around us were dancing in the wind, I turned on some music and I pulled out some Dancing Scarves for us to use!  The challenge was to move their scarf so it was dancing to the music as if it were the wind doing it.


Have a great weekend!
Love, Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment